Thursday, April 2, 2009

Sean's treatment update 04-02-09

Radiation today went fine. Today's treatment was 16 of 30. More than half way there yahoo!

Had blood work done at my chemotherapy doctor yesterday. She checked my platelets, red blood cell count and white blood cell count. The first two were fine but the white cell count was low (1.3) and she would have liked it to be about 1.5. We proceeded with the chemo treatment as the count of 1.5 was close. With other patients that are older and more frail she would have put off the treatment a week or so. I am going in tomorrow to get a shot that will boost my white cell count.

It takes several weeks for your body to refresh it's white blood cells from your bone marrow when it needs to. I am guessing that is why my chemo treatments are three weeks apart. If all goes well the next and final chemo treatment will be 04/23/09.

I'm very tired after today. I am expecting a tough Friday through Sunday as the chemo drug they are using (Cisplatin) is a very strong drug. It is basically liquid platinum. I need to drink a lot or there is a possibility of kidney problems. That is just one benefit of this drug.

No comments:

Post a Comment